Monday, November 28, 2005

Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hai..aaj phir marne ka iraada hai..

I pick this song coz its just one of my favs. It doesnt relate to my post at all.
I just had a brilliant idea. I have decided I shall henceforth be addressing all my posts to this one person. I believe its easier for me to write , to put to words my thoughts when i think of this one person who shall be always be around , who shall always read stuff I write even if they r rantings about a terribly boring day or thoughts from deep within. Its working already :) ...i wanna write so much ......

Dear J,

am reading Salam Rushdie's "Shame" right now. This is his second book I picked up. And i picked up this book coz i wanted to understand what excatly was so poetic about his language. All around people applaud his literary skills and me having read his "Midnight's children" two years back thought them utter rubbish. I'l come to "Shame" later J. Let me tell you about 'MC'. I couldnt even finish the book J. Till date I cant. I found the boook filthy. All i felt when i read the book was 'dirty'. 'dirty' coz of the language used. The characters J, were of course from the Indian sub-continent and the story too was set here. The interactions betweeen the protagonist and the others were always so filthy J. I mean there wasnt a single moment when i wasnt angry at him J. I kept thinking what is it exactly that he wants to convey. Teh story in itself was ingenuine and hats off to him for his brilliant putting together of all the events. But why the hell does he have to paint this rowdy picture of the characters there. Somehow, all of his characters have flaws, degrading flaws and always always this trait, this one trait that contradicts with decency, grace, refine and everything to do with class. He of course is a brilliant story teller. His stories in themselves measure up goood and with all the masala that he puts in, they no wonder sell.
Now, coming to "Shame" and the reason why i picked it up. The first book had been picked coz i really wanted to read him. Having had a bad experience, I stayed away from his works. But then, curiosity killed the cat. So there I was again, loking at his books, thinking why would his words be called poetic?? I picked up "Shame" and i have coem to like it. It doesnt paint us (WE the people) in a hopelessly black color. He doesnt fill up the pages with dirty language and I have discovered the poetic side of him :).Yes, he does tend to get poetic and to repeat again ..He is a brillaint storyteller. He gets u hooked with the awfully cluttered language. Thre were quite a few phrases i needed to re-read to understand em. But I do like the book. I have just started it though. And maybe if it continues as goood as now, I might just pick up 'MC' someday again and give completing the book a shot. Okay, thats it for today J.

Love,
D

1 Comments:

At November 29, 2005 4:09 PM, Blogger Delhi's Deviant said...

That's a nice little post. whatever made you think of stopping blogging??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home